For I know the plans I have for you says the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, to give you a future and a hope. Jer. 29:11

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Albatross around my neck

   In my last post I wrote about trying to save my house. However there is a battle raging inside of me. In many ways, this house is 'the albatross around my neck'. You are probably wondering why I say that. 
   I grew up in this home, and let's just say for now I didn't have a happy childhood. I am an adult child of two raging alcoholics. They never took good care of this house. When I aquired it, I aquired the smoke stained, hole filled walls. My husband and I began to work on it, but as you read in my last post, I do not have the means to finish it. I am torn, because the house was a gift from my mom, who has since gone home to be with Jesus. But if you could see the mess this house was in, you would understand. 
    Even if I keep the home, I have no idea how long it would take to get the house in a condition where I am not ashamed to have guests over. Almost everything needs to be remodled, the kitchen, bathroom, bedrooms, etc. 
    I have thought about selling it. The house isn't worth much, and the mortgage isn't too high, and I could probably use the profit to buy a nice mobile home or pay rent for a while. 
    Another thing that has me torn is the neighborhood I live in. We are more like family than neighbors. We fix each others cars, watch each others dogs, help shovel the drives of each neighbor. Our kids have grown up together, too. I would be hard pressed to find another neighborhood like this one. 
    So I am praying for God's direction in all of this. It is a huge decision and not one I want to enter into lightly. 

2 comments:

  1. If you love the location and the neighbors, maybe you could tear the house down and put up another home, something like a mobile home or manufactured home?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have thought about that, I have to look into it to see how much that would cost

    ReplyDelete